Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Things I've Learnt

When I was one,

I learnt that I was the centre of the universe

By the time I was four,

I learnt that my position as centre of the universe has been usurped by my brother

By the time I was five,

I learnt that raw chinese sausages do not taste nice

By the time I was seven,

I learnt that other little girls may not be as nice as they seem

By the time I was eight,

I learnt that I hated my brother

By the time I was ten,

I learnt that a brother was a handy thing to have around when you needed an ally against your sister

By the time I was eleven,

I learnt how much it hurts to have your forehead split open

By the time I was twelve,

I learnt how scary it is to have someone stalking you from your neighbour's balcony

By the time I was thirteen,

I learnt how terrible it is not to have your period when everyone else has

By the time I was fourteen,

I learnt how terrible it is to have your period

By the time I was sixteen,

I learnt that I am capable of excluding everything else except my studies

By the time I was eighteen,

I learnt that I could speak Mandarin

By the time I was twenty,

I learnt that leaving home is agony

By the time I was twenty- one,

I learnt that I wanted more

By the time I was twenty-two,

I learnt that I'm still learning, and would still be learning for the rest of my life

6 comments:

Gabriel said...

is this on your true account?
wow....

hjjlai said...

ha ha.. well written!
you must have been a smart kid.
I was only concerned about eating as much food as possible till I was like 5.. :p

o-mii-gaa said...

HAhaha..seriously?? HOw big were you as a kid??

And I was a greedy pig when I was small..explains the raw chinese sausage thing..

isaac said...

haha.. omega.. greedy greedy.. =P

anyway, that was a reflection really nicely thought out and written..

hjjlai said...

LOL. I wasn't a BIG kid per se.. I think I was just a greedy kid. But most kids are greedy anyway, holding food in both hands for example. heh heh

o-mii-gaa said...

Haha..being greedy was great fun..till i grew out of it and my bro took over the title..he kept stealing food from me.. :(